This article is part of a a series: From Open Mics to Paid Gigs.
- Follow a real-life booking scenario to find out why some comedians get hired for gigs.
Recently, I needed to book two comedians in a hurry.
It was early in the afternoon, when family emergencies caused both of my opening acts to cancel their appearance at the evening’s gig. After an hour of messaging professional comedians, I asked my client if I could book some of the best acts that perform on my open mic comedy show. Some lucky, new comedian might get booked for a paying gig.
- To book a comedian means to hire.
Why was I considering open mic comedians for a professional show?
My client understood the last minute urgency and agreed that amateur comedians could fill-in, if I thought they could do well. Here’s why I considered some of these open mic comics for a pro gig:
- One comedian was considered because their material was clean enough.
- Others were considered because they have some funny jokes.
- Some comedians were considered because they act professionally.
In the end, you didn’t get the gig which is a major bummer. It would have been so fun to have you!!! And, that’s why we’re connecting through this online course. We want to get you booked for gigs!
Here’s how you could get that gig, and other gigs just like it:
- Develop 10-minutes of funny material that sustains laughter throughout your part of the show.
- Perform comedy that relates to audiences that buy tickets.
- My favorite comedians to work with get big laughs on topics that I’m not covering.
- Get great reviews. Make the audience tell me to book you again.
- Talk to me about jokes and show business. I’m trying to hire you.
- I know that you are new. Some of my customers and audience love that about you.
- On my shows, people expect to see an opening act that goes on to comedic success.
Congratulations! You completed this section!
Now that you’ve conquered this first challenge. you can successfully complete the rest of this series.
START HERE: From Open Mics to Paid Gigs (Series)
- M Moving from Open Mics to Paid Gigs
- How some open mic comedians get booked for paid gigs
- What do you need to get booked for paid gigs?
- One secret to getting booked for your first stand-up comedy show
Scenario #1 | Local Comedy Showcase
- Differences between open mics and paid gigs
- Developing enough material for gigs
- Comedy Writing Challenge
- Show Business Challenge
Scenario #2 | Getting Booked as an Opening act
- How professional comedians adapt their material to the audience
Scenario #3 | Getting Booked at All-Stars Comedy Club
- What’s a Media Kit or EPK?
- What to do when a comedy show booker says, “Send me your avails.”
- Adapting your set for comedy clubs
Laugh, like, share.
Please share this article with comedians in your neighborhood comedy scene.